The last thing you want to do when the mercury’s rising is to heat up your kitchen by cooking or baking—but we still need to eat! So what can you make for your family that’s delicious and nutritious, but helps you keep your cool? Sandwiches and salads are obvious choices, but variety is the spice of life, as they say, so new and interesting versions of some of your favorites are a good way to keep everyone excited about dinner time.
Check out this selection of healthy, summer-friendly recipes—including interesting takes on a few old classics. Some of these recipes do require a bit of cooking, but it’s minimal, and in most cases any cooking can be done early in the day before the heat settles in.
- Asparagus and arugula pasta salad
- Smashed chickpea salad sandwich
- White bean and summer vegetable salad
- Fruity tabbouleh salad with feta cheese
- Tomato toast with chives
- Asian noodle salad
- Tomato pesto sandwich
- Greek salad
- Asian tuna melt nachos
- Breadless cucumber tuna salad sandwich
- Salmon salad pita pockets
- Steamed salmon and veg rice bowl
- Deli roast beef rice wraps
- Two-pea pesto chicken salad
- Spicy chicken salad sandwiches
- Chicken Waldorf salad
- Chinese chicken mandarin salad
- Antipasto chickpea salad
- Tomato peach and basil salad with Italian sausage
For a selection of foods and recipes that can actually help cool you down, check out our article on what to eat to beat the heat. And remember, it’s critical to stay hydrated during the hot summer months, so make sure you’re drinking lots of water and other healthy beverages throughout the dog days of summer.
417957D CAN/US 08/20