As we spend most of the time in our offices, we all know how difficult it can be to stay active during work hours. Hence, achieving the recommended 10,000 steps a day might seem hard and even impossible sometimes.
To help you overcome the most common mistakes at work, here a list of easy tips and suggestions that you can implement at work:
Sit less but how?
Some simple changes in the way you get to others’ offices and how you communicate with your coworkers can actually lead to various benefits. You can do these simple changes:
- Walk to a coworker’s office instead of sending an email.
- Take the stairs and forget about the elevator.
- Park further and not in front of the entrance.
Reorganize your office
Rearranging your working station and the space close by might also have some impact on your activity level. You can, for instance:
- Organize the furniture and the space around you differently, so that you are obliged to stand up whenever you need some material, files, phone, etc.
- Use a standing workstation that allows you to stand instead of sitting while doing your work.
- Use a ball instead of a chair. The ball is really helpful as it engages muscles and improves flexibility.
You can also use other tricks that will help you interrupt your sitting.
You can for example set an alarm on your phone to remind you to stand up every hour.
Moreover, it would be good to remember to do some little exercise every now and then, like stretching your legs, etc.
And how about something fun?
For instance, with Foresters Go you can join challenges and find new new friends and new activities to engage in. Why don’t you challenge your colleagues in other business units to come to work on foot or by bike and track your distance.
At the end it’s all about motivation, staying focused and engaged. That is why lifestyle and health navigation platforms as well as corporate health programs can help you in achieving this.